I just got a nomination for a Liebster Award. I read the post and then Googled it, and it seems like a chain letter. Kind of. It is not a “this is the 5th month, has 5 Sundays, resend this to 5 people in 5 minutes and you will magically get 5 million dollars” kind of chain letter – wow I wish it was, I could use the money! But it seems more like just something someone started to get some exposure for their blog and it caught on. So, I figure why not go ahead? I am supposed to nominate 5 bloggers and if any of you that I send it to get upset – I am sorry. It is just for fun and some exposure. Kind of spread the newbie’ness around ha ha. So thank you Michael from http://michaelargersinger.wordpress.com for the invite. And he does have a good expat blog so it was not a waste of time.
From my reading about it there are numerous versions out. The earliest incarnation I saw said to send a nomination out to 3 other blogs with fewer than 2,000 followers. Others I saw said 5 – 11 bloggers with anywhere from 200 – 3,000 followers. The one I got said to send it 5 blogs with under 200 followers. So they not are not real consistent and there is no governing body – like it is not a real award (I know it is not). But like I said it sounds like fun so here goes. Or I could skip the whole thing and give the award to myself honorarily. But where is the fun in that?
Also, since I have an expat blog I decided to try and keep my 5 nominations to other expat blogs. No particular reason really. I just felt like it.
I have to give 11 facts about myself, answer 5 questions, nominate 5 other blogs, and ask them 5 questions.
11 Facts about me:
- I moved overseas 5 years before retirement.
- I don’t recommend anyone do that!
- I was a single dad for 16 years
- I was vegetarian for 27 years during my Hindu phase.
- Although I complain about constant power outages, and horrid customer service I am quite happy in the Philippines.
- After working 25 years in the air conditioning business I now live with 85 degrees at 85% humidity – and no aircon!
- I like Lady Gaga, some eras of Madonna’s music, and I am listening to Rod Stewart as I write this. Yet I consider myself straight.
- Elvis Costello is the best musician in the world.
- I love to cook
- So far Filipinos don’t appreciate my cooking.
- I am surprisingly happy being monogamous.
My 5 questions to answer:
- What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever done?
That is a very hard question. With my Navy experience, and a bit of solo travel I have done some pretty cool stuff – some of it quite unspeakably cool. But my kids and I had an annual Spring Break trip to Orlando for Disney and Universal studios. We did it probably 10 times? And even when they were in college they wanted to travel with me (or at least go to Disney). That is pretty cool.
- In what capacity do you use your blog?
I am sharing my journey of being an expat. Mostly for my family and Texas friends to read, but anyone is welcome to join in.
- What’s your best experience abroad?
Another tough one. I think it would have to be my first scuba diving vacation. Went with a group of strangers from a local dive shop to Cozumel for a week and came back with a dozen new, wonderful, friends. And some great diving memories!
- What’s you favorite thing to do outside?
It may sound trite but walking along the beach has to be one of the best thing around. I enjoy hiking, scuba diving, cycling, and laying in a hammock. But walking on the beach has some magical properties.
- Favorite book?
My first thought was Atlas Shrugged. But I am such a voracious reader there are too many good ones to name. All time favorite series would have to be the Darkover books by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
My 5 questions to my nominated bloggers:
- What keeps you motivated to blog regularly?
- What advice you give to someone thinking of becoming an expat?
- If you already moved – what do you miss most from your home country?
- Is music important in your life? And if so what musician has affected your life the most?
- What is your favorite book?
My 5 nominated bloggers (many blogs do not display the number of followers so if you have tons of followers already… sorry):